Over the past few weeks I’ve seen in the online-news that the Russian billionaire Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko was sailing around Cyprus coastline in his luxury super sailing yacht named “A”. I was so desperate to see it but I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Well this morning we woke up to the yacht being docked in Coral Bay. Quickly getting dressed and grabbing the camera and phone Phill and I jumped in the car and shot off to Coral Bay Beach and Corralia Beach to take photographs of this magnificent vessel.
At 468ft in length (length of 1 ½ football pitches), with ship masts nearing 300ft high(taller than Big Ben), ‘Sailing Yacht A’ is the world’s biggest sailing ship. Cruise speed is 18mph, with a top speed of 24mph. The hull is made of steel, with a teak-finish deck. The ship is said to have cost the Russian Billionaire £360 million to build.
Interesting things about this sailing yacht:-
- Her three masts tower up to 328 feet (100 metres) above the water level, with a crow’s nest at 60 meters, there are 24 shell doors in the hull
- It took 4 years to build
- A helicopter pad can be found on one of the eight decks
- The length of the ship is 468ft – the length of 13 London Buses. It incorporates carbon fibre to keep the super vessel’s weight down
- She has 8 decks and features a 1 ft thick glass underwater observation area, located in the keel
- She accommodates 20 guests and a crew of 54
- Her decks are connected by several elevators and sailing yacht A will carry a submarine. Her total sail area will be more than 40.000 sq.ft, or more than 3,700m2.
- Bomb proof glass and 40 security cameras
The boats below sailing out from Coral Bay Beach are heading to the super yacht where the boats are docked within the actual yacht. How amazing is that !! It can hold a submarine and 4 vehicles/boats!!